Hi blog world. Boy am I excited to finally not be just a reader but a blogger. I’m Alex, 23 years old and originally from Massachusetts. May 2012 I graduated from a university in Virginia with a BA in psychology and business administration. Currently, I reside in a brand new city to me – DC. Through a fellowship I received at my university, I will be working with a non-profit mentoring high school students called BUILD. On top of that, I work part time at a running store. Sleep, Run, Work, Eat repeat.
There is so much about me that I want and will share through this blog. Here are a few fun facts that I think really define me… (also check out my Snapshots page where I list some of my must haves!)
1. I have probably the BEST LITTLE SISTER anyone could ask for. She is two years younger and decided to go down south as well for college. We are more than anything two peas in a pod. We shared a bedroom (bunk beds to say the least) for over 14 years. People think we are twins because we look very much alike. Sadly, she is taller making everyone guess she is older. We were inseparable when we were younger and were either found playing imaginary games outside, making up plays or creating dances. While we may be physically apart, I honestly don’t know what I would do without her. She is my rock, my role model and most of all my best friend.
2. From the header, I guess you can tell I am a DISTANCE RUNNER. In high school I ran cross-country and did the 2 mile at winter track. Distance is my jam. My runs each morning are what I consider my me time. No music, just thoughts and pavement. I named my blog ‘The Run Within’ because running has helped me through some of my tough times. Running isn’t about competing, it isn’t about looking a certain way, it isn’t about perfection. Running for me is healing and it is can be just what my inner me needs that day. When I run, I leave it all out there. A run truly from within.
3. My four years as an undergraduate I learned a lot about myself. I was a RESIDENT ADVISER for three years with the last year being Head RA. Yes, that made my college experience a little atypical but I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way. I felt different from my school but what I found in the group of RAs was a community I needed to keep me there and loving it. I was also a Bonner Leader for three years and did over 1350 hours of community service in that time even starting my own mentoring program for the community kids.
4. Two years ago I was diagnosed with celiac meaning I am ALLERGIC TO GLUTEN. Moving out of a dorm made gluten free eating a whole lot easier. It has been a learning experience but through working with a nutritionist I found how to power, fuel and feed my body without feeling deprived. However, I am always looking for new tips or tricks from fellow bloggers that deal with the same issues. All I know is since being gluten-free I have less stomach issues, have more energy and just overall a better mood.
5. It is so hard to describe my personality so I won’t even try. I think through the blog you will really get to know who Alex is… I warn you that HUMOR AND SARCASM will play a role.
Thanks for coming to my blog and I really hope you stick around. I love connecting with people and the blogging community so shoot any questions my way!