Well, duh this theme was my jam this week. I just couldn’t pass it up. Even as hard as I tried. And even as late as I am. Plus, lately I have just been really good at ‘spilling it’. Not sure if that is a good thing (you can ask my friends that) but sometimes you just need that spill. Even over books.
Favorite Novel of all time: Chasing Redbird by Sharon Creech with a close tie of Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
- Chasing Redbird follows Zinny as she rediscovers a trail, taking the clearing of it on her as a coping mechanism for dealing with the death of her aunt. It is hard to put my finger on what I love about this book but I just do. It captures that forgiveness we all want with that obsession that sometimes clouds reality. At the time I read this, I was doing a project for school and picked this as my book report. It wasn’t until I read it right after the death of my Jidoo that I rediscovered why at such a young age I was so drawn to it.
- Perks of Being a Wallflower follows Charlie as he enters high school after the suicide of his only friend committed suicide. Charlie himself just draws you in. His thought process is unqiue and full of quirks, but yet his emotions are raw and insecurities relatable. A book I could read over and over.
Favorite Genre: Not-Your-Average Romance
- Never. Ever. Would I peg this genre as something I would quickly fall in love with. You know all those books I am eating through? Totally what I would call Not – Your – Average Romance. I am struggling to actually give this type of genre a name. What I mean is that they are romantic, but always obstacles in the way of the lovey dovey romance you think of. These are not all lovey dovey. Sure they have their moments. But most are full of the bad boy trying to get the good girl, or the person dealing with their past in order to fall in love – a super modern twist to romance which is what draws me in. I won’t lie, some are a little racier than others. Hey, kill me ok. We are all human. I did read the 50 shades series this January. Another recent series is Ross Siblings series. I actually went out of order because I had no idea there were as many as they were and still I got sucked in.
Favorite Childhood Novel: Series of Unfortunate Events – Lemony Snicket
- I had trouble with this question because I could pick a more recent series that I loved but I thought I would go back to a classic that I lived for when I was younger. These were actually pretty devastating books yet I could not get enough of them. I think it is the one series I bought every single book of.
Favorite Series: Divergent Series – Veronica Roth
- Another unexpected one that came out of this year’s reading spree. It was a combination of the characters and who setting that made me unable to put this series down. But you already knew that…
Which book would you hope future generations will consider a classic? East of Eden- John Steinbeck
- What started as a forced read for school and soon began one I read probably every year just because. A book that explores the struggle for acceptance with the self destructive path it can build could not speak more directly to a trend in our society. The themes are universal and relatable. A must read.
Fun huh? Gosh I just love to read. Nerd status.
Question: What is your favorite book to date?