I can’t even begin to describe the amount of joy I felt seeing the comments about my post and even reactions from it. Even emails from readers! (Check out my success story over at Caitlin’s blog!)
One of the best was probably the email from a close friend at school – she herself battled anorexia and is full force in recovery. (One of my biggest mentors and inspirations, honestly she kicked ED’s butt). She is in Italy for four weeks as a semester abroad program about cooking. Why yes, a once ED girl going to Italy to learn about AND EAT cheeses, wines, and delicious food. Well I open my inbox and find an email from her (in all caps) saying I SAW YOUR POST. I told you, I don’t share this blog with friends or family, I doubted people would ever know I even blogged, but this made my freaking day. The power of friendships in recovery. BOOM.
Anyways, I am loving the surveys that are circulating so I thought while I wait anxiously to take my #4 fun picture for May at my friend’s engagement party, I would do one. I saw this over on Brittany’s blog!
1. What did you eat for breakfast? Today, I had some scrambled egg whites (in the microwave) with cheese melted in and some dry cereal. I love my eggs in the morning. Oh and don’t forget that coffee.
2. How much water do you drink a day? I am not sure exactly, I am not one to count my food or drinks. I drink probably 64 ounces of water a day (flavored because I just stink at drinking plain water!) I would do anything for someone to get me hooked on water, I need to improve this. (Does snorkeling in it count?)
3. What is your current favorite workout? I love the sports circuit class I go to twice a week. One, because I go with one of my good friends and two because I would never ever do any of it alone. I swear anytime I hear a song he uses outside of class I start thinking about what moves we did with it. It is taught by a husband and wife pair who have been teaching it for the four years I have been here – its the only class on my campus worth going to. Breaking a sweat would be an understatement.
4. How many calories do you eat a day? I honestly have no idea, I never did the calorie counting before or after my eating disorder. It has always been exchanges for me.
5. What are your favorite healthy snacks? Hmm… I have lots but probably baby carrots, pop chips (I want some!), popcorn, cereal and almond milk, fresh fruit…
6. What do you usually eat for lunch? I usually have some sort of vegetable with protein and whatever the dining hall is serving (as long as it is gluten free) – my favorite day is mexican day, I love beans. For someone who is still without a kitchen, I am usually not really into a whole variety of meals. Eating gluten free in my dining hall is not the easiest thing.
7. What is your favorite body part to strength train? ARMS BABY, I would never have said that before but I am loving the muscle definition I am building in my arms from the sports circuit class. I won’t lie though, I haven’t stepped in a gym for over a year. (Breaking a sweat just trying to button that up!)
8. What is your least favorite body part to strength train? Legs, running is way more fun than sitting in awkward position lifting and lowering my legs.
9. What are you bad food cravings? I am going to change the phrasing of this… I will say STRONG food cravings. Lately, it has been watermelon and dairy. No idea why but a big bowl of froyo would hit the spot right now.
10. Do you take vitamins or supplements? Yes. This is something I never used to do because I wasn’t willing to take care of my body. Now I take magnesium, stomach probiotic and vitamin d. They have literally changed my stomach issues for the better.
12. Do you eat fast food? Not really, I mean I know a part of it is my disorder telling me I shouldn’t but a part of it is I don’t love the food. However, I do like Taco Bell – probably the one fast food place with gluten free options.
13. Who is your biggest supporter? Easy… my mom and my sister and my dad. I could go on because I have an amazing best friend back home who I have gone through so much with – Jasmine- and an amazing best friend here who has opened her heart and house (literally!) to me. I mean, my whole family is pretty stellar.
14. Do you have a gym membership? No, I don’t go to the gym but I am lucky enough to be able to pay for classes at school.
15. How many hours of sleep do you get a night? Depends but I try to get between 7-8 hours.
16. Do you have a cheat day? No eating is cheating for me, when I want it I eat it. I have learned that if I let the craving linger I tend to overeat and feel worse. Why ruin the beauty of that intuitive gut feeling your body has about what it wants?
17. Do you drink alcohol? Barely, I actually haven’t wanted to drink in college (weird I know) but I plan to find a balance once I leave. I think for social reason I will want to drink, I mean why not. But right now I feel no need to. 18. Do you have a workout buddy? I wish, sometimes I am lucky and can drag a friend along on parts of my run or take someone to a workout class but nothing consistent. This is the one thing I miss about high school.
19. What is the best thing that has changed about your life since committing to a healthy lifestyle? I have discovered new foods I would have never even approached.
20. What was the last healthy thing you did? Went for a refreshing run this morning with a little speed work in the end.
Questions: What was the last healthy thing you did? How do you take your water? What made your day today?