I am feeling it is a double post kind of day so I wanted to throw out a quick one in the midst of all the chaos of my day.
First up… #3 something you wore… another day in the books. (Is this real?)
This idea hit me on my run this morning. I never EVER take these off. The three colorful yarn strings (now faded and kind of gross looking) were from over a year ago at inpatient. Let’s just say there is not much you can do in your very rare free time there so we all took up knitting. Before I left, some of my closest friends (and still closest friends) gave me these. I don’t think of any of them expected I would never take them off again. The glittery silver ribbon was sent to me by one of my best friends from impatient as well a few months ago. I wear these everyday because they remind me of my continued strength, my commitment to recovery and friends I will never lose. I will never forget those girls and just looking down at the bracelets remind me of some pretty amazing (yet sometimes difficult) memories from my time there.
Second… Heather asked how I got to like the heat after I named myself a ‘heat lover’. From a girl who grew up in Massachusetts, you would think I would hate this southern heat I began to experience when I came to Virginia for college.
- I think people learn to hate the heat because they don’t use it wisely. What I mean by this is every time I see a runner or walker working out at 12 or even 3 in the afternoon, I shake my head. Well duh you are going to hate the heat when you are smack dab in the middle of it pushing your body! Take advantage of either the morning or night, whatever works best. I live for my mornings and don’t see heat as a problem because I get my sweat on before most people wake up.
- You glisten. Ever heard of this? My coach always told us we glisten when we ran. I still think it was sweat but this made it kind of a beautiful sweat.
- I am a cold food lover. Yes, I do like my warm roasted veggies but who can turn down all of those summer fruits (need I say watermelon again?) and refreshing drinks. More reason to make that froyo pit stop and feel justified. I mean our bodies do need to stay cool!
- Shorts and dresses weather. I think because of past I have a huge aversion to pants but the heat gives you an excuse to pull out those more revealing clothes that let your legs breath! [My cousin sure knows how to handle the heat...paddle away!]
- BE SMART. People often feel lousy in the heat because they don’t wear sunscreen (hello sun poisoning), don’t drink enough water (cranky-ness to the max) and try to stay in the peak of heat for far too long (I’m melting!). Enjoy being outside but make sure to give your body a break from a non-stop, heat induced outside enjoyment.
I am not sure if I exactly did what Heather was asking for but I hope you can now find a way to enjoy the heat a little more!
Questions: How is everyone’s photo a day challenge going? How do you find ways to enjoy the heat? Any other things you want to hear from me?